- Short Name: Gandalf Award Type Record # 18
- Full Name: Gandalf Award
- Awarded For: Fantasy writing
- Awarded By: World Science Fiction Society
- Poll: No
- Covers more than just SF: No
- Webpages: Science Fiction Awards Database, Wikipedia-EN
Note: Sub-Genre Award (Fantasy). Awarded annually by the World Science Fiction Society. It was named after Gandalf the wizard and sponsored by Lin Carter and the Swordsmen and Sorcerers' Guild of America (SAGA), a group of prominent fantasy authors. Recipients were selected by the vote of the members of the World Science Fiction Convention. Originally two awards: Grand Master and Best Novel, the Best Novel overlapped with the Hugo Award for Best Novel (which has often gone to fantasy books), and hence was retired after 1979.