Overview of Retro Hugo Award
You are not logged in. If you
create a free account
and sign in, you will be able to customize what is displayed.
- Short Name: Retro Hugo
- Full Name: Retro Hugo Award
- Awarded For: Best science fiction and fantasy works (retrospective)
- Awarded By: Members of Worldcon
- Poll: Yes
- Covers more than just SF: No
- Webpages: nesfa.org, Science Fiction Awards Database, thehugoawards.org, Wikipedia-EN
Note: Multi-Category Award. In the mid-1990s Retrospective Hugo Awards were added: Worldcons held 50, 75, or 100 years after a Worldcon where no Hugos had been awarded (i.e. 1939–41, 1946–52 and 1954) can also retroactively select Hugos for that year, by the same process as the regular Hugos. This is a subject of much controversy, with critics of the proposal arguing that hindsight necessarily distorts perception, and that there was no point in giving awards decades after the fact. There have been only three Retro Hugos given, for 1946, 1951, and 1954 (awarded in 1996, 2001, and 2004). Not yet awarded for 1939-1941, 1947-1950, 1952. The next opportunity to award a Retrospective Hugo will be in 2014 for the year 1939.
Copyright (c) 1995-2016 Al von Ruff.
ISFDB Engine - Version 4.00 (04/24/06)