- Short Name: White Award Type Record # 45
- Full Name: James White Award
- Awarded For: Short story by a non-professional writer
- Awarded By: Panel of SF professionals
- Poll: No
- Covers more than just SF: No
- Webpages: jameswhiteaward.com, Science Fiction Awards Database
Note: Written Form Award (Short Story). An annual short story competition open to non-professional writers with the winner chosen by a panel of judges made up of professional authors and editors. Stories entered into the competition must be original and previously unpublished. The James White Award was instituted to honor the memory of one of Ireland's most successful science fiction authors. Many non-winning nominees have not been published, and hence are listed by ISFDB without links. Locus and the James White website disagree on the year to attach to the first 3 awards. What the award home page calls the "2001 award" is the award given during the 2001 year, for the 2000 competition; Locus calls that the "2000 award". The numbering comes into agreement in 2004, which Locus refers to as having an eligibility period of 2002-2003. ISFDB uses the numbering scheme from the James White Award home page. There was no award competition for the years 2008-2009. The awards given in 2013 were for the years 2012/2013.