- Publication: Tales of Terror, or the Mysteries of Magic: A Selection of Wonderful and Supernatural StoriesPublication Record # 493935
- Editor: Henry St. Clair
- Date: 1833-00-00
- Publisher: Charles Gaylord
- Pages: 178+119
Format: hc?Hardcover. Used for all hardbacks of any size.
- Type: ANTHOLOGY
- 2 volumes published in 1. Actual page numbers are with respect to the volumes, i.e. are renumbered as of the start of Volume 2. We record the pages for volume 2 as if they had been numbered continuously, e.g. "The Astrologer of the Nineteenth Century", which is shown as on p. 3 of volume 2, is listed here as on p. 181 (=178+3).
- Printed boards, maroon cloth spine.
- "Translated from the Chinese, Turkish, and German"
- Most of these stories translated by Henry St. Clair, but he gives no credit to the original sources. Since there has almost certainly been his own "re-interpretation" of the works, we list them as by him unless he specifically credits someone else. "Peter Rugg, the Missing Man" is uncredited here, but is known to be by William Austin (i.e. not by St. Clair).
- Data from Charles Parkhurst Rare Books and from WorldCat.
- OCLC/WorldCat: 2288712
Anthology Title: Tales of Terror, or the Mysteries of Magic: A Selection of Wonderful and Supernatural Stories • anthology by Henry St. Clair
Contents (view Concise Listing)
-  • Preface (Tales of Terror, or the Mysteries of Magic) • essay by uncredited
- 7 • The Magic Dice, an Awful Narrative • short story by Thomas De Quincey (variant of The Dice 1823) [as by uncredited]
- 29 • The Gored Huntsman • short fiction by uncredited
- 37 • The Nikkur Holl • short fiction by uncredited
- 61 • The Tiger's Cave • short fiction by uncredited
- 75 • Der Freischütz; or, The Magic Balls • (1825) • short story by A. Apel (trans. of Der Freischütz 1810)
- 92 • The Story of Judar • short fiction by uncredited
- 105 • The Boarwolf • short fiction by A. Apel (trans. of The Boarwolf) [as by uncredited]
- 119 • The Cavern of Death • (1794) • novel by unknown [as by uncredited]
- 159 • The Mysterious Bell • short fiction by uncredited
- 162 • The Dervise Alfouran • short fiction by Sir Charles Morell [as by uncredited]
- 171 • Hassan Assar; or, The History of the Caliph of Bagdat • short fiction by Sir Charles Morell [as by uncredited]
- 181 • The Astrologer of the Nineteenth Century • short fiction by Lorenz Flammenberg [as by uncredited]
- 232 • The Flying Dutchman • short story by uncredited
- 248 • Peter Rugg, the Missing Man • novelette by William Austin [as by uncredited]
- 257 • The Haunted Forest • short fiction by uncredited
- 275 • The Lonely Man of the Ocean • short fiction by uncredited
- 285 • The Hungarian Horse Dealer • short fiction by uncredited
- 289 • The Wreckers of St. Agnes • short fiction by uncredited
|Contento1 (anth/coll)||Not Verified|
|Bleiler1 (Gernsback)||Not Verified|
|Bleiler Supernatural||Not Verified|
|Bleiler Early Years||Not Verified|