New York City
Founded in 1946
One successor to Farrar & Rinehart
The name has changed several times.
The following names and dates have been taken from the existing data and are approximations; they are not definite and are a guide only.
Farrar, Straus (1946-1949)
Farrar, Straus and Young (1952-1954)
Farrar, Straus and Cudahy (1955-1962)
Farrar, Straus and Giroux
(1962-present) --see for general information and cross-reference links
In 1950 Farrar, Straus moved from 5th Ave. to 34th Street, as indicated by the publisher's address on the copyright page. Thus a 34th Street address for "Farrar, Strauss" implies a 1950-51 publication date.
John Chipman Farrar
(1896–1974) and Roger Williams Straus Jr.
(1917–2004) established the company in 1946. Farrar and two of the Rinehart brothers had founded Farrar & Rinehart in 1929.
(The Wikipedia biography of Straus reports that they "began the firm of Farrar Straus & Co. on November 21, 1945" and gives the usual 1929–1946 span for Farrar & Rinehart.)