Founded April 1890
Successor to Frederick A. Stokes & Brother
, from 1887
Acquired 1943 by J. B. Lippincott
"Incorporated from F.A. Stokes & Brother; remained at 182 Fifth until 1906 when relocated to Fourth Avenue and Twenty-fifth Street."
--The Lucile Project
, U Iowa Libraries, citing DLB
Footer of one 1933 newspaper advertisement:
Frederick A. Stokes Co., 443 Fourth Avenue, New York
One 1922 title page shows (three lines, quote):
FREDk A. STOKES Co (lowercase represents superscript above dot)
at 443 Fourth Avenue New York A.D. 1922
WorldCat library records of several Doctor Dolittle volumes include "Fredk." in the Publisher field.
Frederick Abbot Stokes
(1857–1939) established White & Stokes in 1881 and the eponymous Frederick Abbot Stokes Company in 1890, where he was president until his death. Sons Horace Winston and Frederick Brett Stokes, then treasurer and secretary, inherited the company and sold it to Lippincott in 1943.
George F. Foster
, Secretary and Treasurer of the new corporation "has long been known in this city as a journalist connected with prominent morning newspapers. This change involves the retirement of Horace S. Stokes, and brings to the house an increase of capital."
1890-04-21 p3 "Literary Notes"