Author: Theodore Sturgeon
Note: The Postcript essay contains a bibliography in narrative form of the publications that the author used while researching this story.
- Holy Bible Oxford Concordance.
- The Human Body and How it Works by Elbert Tokay, Ph. D., Signet (NAL).
- The Transients, four parts, by Wm. H. Whyte Jr., Fortune Magazine, 1953.
- The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James, Modern Library (Random House).
- Cunningham's Manual of Practical Anatomy, Oxford Medial Pubs., 1937.
- Patterns of Culture, Ruth Benedict, Mentor, 1953.
- The Disappearance, especially Chapter 13, p. 262, by Philip Wylie, Pocket Books edition, 1958.
- Psychoanalysis and Religion by Erich Fromm, Yale University Press, 1950.
- Various recent magazine articles by Margaret Mead.
- Sex in History, by G. Rattray Taylor, Ballantine, 1960.
- Are Clothes Modern? by Bernard Rudofsky, Theobald, 1947. (These last two are the most startling, informative, and thought-provoking books you could pick up.)
- Most of the Ledom names are from an article by John R. Pierce (J. J. Coupling), “Science for Art's Sake,” in Astounding Science Fiction for November 1950, in listings of “word” constructions by the use of a table of probabilities and a table of random numbers.
- “Ledom” itself comes from a can of my favorite tobacco spelled backwards.
Synopsis: The author writes in the Postscript "It was my aim in writing Venus Plus X a) to write a decent book b) about sex."User Rating: This title has fewer than 5 votes. VOTE
Current Tags: SF: The 100 Best Novels 1949-1984 (1) Add Tags
- O Homem que Vinha do Passado [Portuguese] (1962) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Venere più X [Italian] (1965) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Venus Plus X [Dutch] (1970) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Venus plus X [German] (1973) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Vénus plus X [French] (1980) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Venera plus iks [Serbian] (1985) - Teodor Sterdžen
- Venus Plus X (Part 1 of 4) (1961) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Venus Plus X (Part 2 of 4) (1961) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Venus Plus X (Part 3 of 4) (1961) - Theodore Sturgeon
- Venus Plus X (Part 4 of 4) (1961) - Theodore Sturgeon
|Place||Year and Award||Category|
|Nomination||1961 Hugo||Best Novel|
View all covers for Venus Plus X (logged in users can change User Preferences to always display covers on this page)
- Review by Frederik Pohl (1961) in If, #8 [UK] , reprinted in:
- If, January 1961, (1961)
- Review by S. E. Cotts (1961) in Amazing Stories, January 1961
- Review by Alfred Bester (1961) in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, January 1961
- Review by P. Schuyler Miller (1961) in Analog Science Fact -> Fiction, April 1961
- Review by P. Schuyler Miller (1969) in Analog Science Fiction/Science Fact, June 1969
- Review by Bill Glass (1976) in Delap's F & SF Review, September 1976
- Review by Charles N. Brown (1977) in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, Summer 1977
- Review by Darrell Schweitzer (1977) in Science Fiction Review, August 1977
- Review by Spider Robinson (1980) in Analog Science Fiction/Science Fact, February 1980
- Review by Baird Searles (1980) in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, March 1980
- Review by Steve Carper (1984) in Fantasy Review, December 1984
- Review by Don D'Ammassa (1985) in Science Fiction Chronicle, #64 January 1985
- Review by Baird Searles (1985) in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, February 1985
- Review by Robert Coulson (1985) in Amazing Stories, March 1985
- Review by David Pringle (1985) in Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels , reprinted in:
- Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels, (1985)
- Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels, (1986)
- Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels, (1987)
- Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels, (1997)
- Review by Graham Sleight (2010) in Locus, #595 August 2010