Rules and standards changes
For a changelog of ISFDB data entry rules and standards, see the Rules and standards changelog page.
As for software changes, see the subsequent sections below.
Completed projects are displayed using
strikethrough. See this discussion for details.
- Language cleanup:
Assign languages to all titles
- Assign languages to all authors
- Wiki cleanup
- Move series/magazine-, publisher- and publication-specific etc Wiki pages to the database
Add a "Note" field to author records
- Move Bio and Bibliographic data to the database
- Support multiple prices per publication
- Support multiple publishers per publication. May require more thought re: imprints.
- ISBNs (mostly to support internationalization, but will also help in other cases):
- Move catalog IDs to a separate field, which will help with pubs that have both an ISBN and a catalog ID, e.g. book club publications.
- Support multiple ISBNs per publication
- Add two checkboxes next to each ISBN: “derived” and “corrected”. The latter will let us capture two versions of invalid ISBNs, the stated one and the corrected one.
- Add support for translators (as well as other roles like single-author collection editors?)
- Move “Add Authors/Transliterated Titles/etc” buttons to the right to free up screen real estate. This will become more important with the addition of new multiply occurring fields (see immediately above.)
- Change “Family Name” to “Directory Entry”.
Separate translations from VTs on the Title page.
Allow users to limit the list of publications to the ones associated with the canonical title.
- New Projects:
Re-do verifications. This will let us have more than 5 primary verifications as well as multiple transient verifications per publication.
- Create a history of changes to primary-verified publications by storing a snapshot of the way each verified pub looked like right before it was changed.
- Support for third party IDs (OCLC, BLIC, LCCN, BNF, ASIN, Goodreads, etc). This will enable Fixer to submit ebooks without ISBNs, an increasingly common scenario.
- Make the Quick Tags list user-definable.
- Cleanup reports:
Make additional cleanup reports available to non-moderators
- Review old/incomplete FRs for cleanup reports, add missing title types
- Add a "printing rank" field to order multi-reprinted titles without pub dates
What's New from 2017
See Development/Recent Patches for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2017.
What's New from 2016
See Development/Archive/2016 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2015.
What's New from 2015
See Development/Archive/2015 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2015.
What's New from 2014
See Development/Archive/2014 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2014.
What's New from 2013
See Development/Archive/2013 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2013.
What's New from 2012
See Development/Archive/2012 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2012.
What's New from 2011
See Development/Archive/2011 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2011.
What's New from 2010
See Development/Archive/2010 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2010.
What's New - 16 May 2010
- Added the ability to view magazine series as grids
What's New from 2009
See Development/Archive/2009 for a complete list of software changes implemented in 2009.
What's New - 31 December 2009
- Highlights of patches r2009-23 through r2009-75 implemented between September 8 and December 31:
- You can now remove invalid pseudonyms
- You can now delete empty Series
- You can now dissociate Series from their parent Super-series
- Automated the addition of cover scans to publications
- Edit Pub no longer allows editors to change constituent Titles if they also appear in other Pubs
- Remove Title lets you remove all Titles, including duplicates and container titles
- CHAPTERBOOKs have been re-enabled at the Title level to allow documenting standalone appearances of Shortfiction and Essays
- Editors can cancel their submissions before they are approved/rejected
- Magazine pubs now link to their parent Series (or to the EDITOR Title if it's not in a Series)
- You can now search magazine titles from the main search box.
- The Forthcoming Books page has been redone.
What's New - 8 September 2009
- Highlights of patches r2009-14 through r2009-22 implemented between July 29 and September 8:
- Serials are no longer matched to their parent Novels/Shorfiction lexically. They now use the regular Variant Title logic. This eliminates many cases of incorrect behavior, e.g. when Hubbard's "To the Stars" was appearing on Heinlein's and Harrison's pages.
- Split the "Title" search option into "Fiction Titles" and "All Titles".
What's New - 29 July 2009
- Highlights of patches r2009-07 through r2009-13 implemented between July 1 and July 28:
- Implemented Advanced Publication Searches by Publisher, Price and Page Count
- Implemented Advanced Title Searches by Reviewed Author
- Editors now see a "My Messages (new)" in the navigation bar when they have new messages in the ISFDB Wiki
What's New - 30 June 2009
- Patches r2009-04, r2009-05 and r2009-06 were installed on 20 June, 27 June, and 30 June respectively. Highlights include:
- Pseudonym Search fixed;
- Reviews where the reviewer or reviewee are using pseudonyms or non-canonical names are handled better;
- Submitting editors can see if their submissions are being held, and if so, by which moderator;
- Errors in Advanced Author search have been fixed;
- Additional verification sources, including OCLC/Worldcat and multiple primary verifications are now supported;
- Support for creating and editing "Chapterbook" (chapbook) titles has been restored and improved;
- Display of series pages has been improved.
What's New - 14 June 2009
- Development resumed as of May 2009. 4 developers are currently implementing minor changes while we are debating more far reaching proposals.
- Patches r2009-01, r2009-02 and r2009-03 installed on June 4, June7 and June 14 respectively. Highlights include:
- Empty Series eliminated; Short Fiction Series and Non-genre Series implemented
- ISBN linking to Amazon, B&N and other stores fixed
- Links to the sites hosting images that we have permission to link to added
- All bugs and feature requests have been moved to Sourceforge Ahasuerus 21:44, 14 June 2009 (UTC)
- What's New from 2008
- What's New from 2007
- What's New from 2006
- What's New from 2005
- What's New from 2004
- What's New from 2003
- What's New from 2002
- What's New from 2001
- What's New from 2000
- What's New from 1999
- What's New from 1998
- What's New from 1997
- What's New from 1996
- What's New from 1995
- Current events (seems to be outdated but may be of historical significance)