- Short Name: Tiptree / Otherwise Award Type Record # 43
- Full Name: James Tiptree, Jr. Award / Otherwise Award
- Awarded For: Science fiction or fantasy that "expands or explores our understanding of gender"
- Awarded By: Panel of judges supervised by James Tiptree, Jr. Literary Award Council
- Poll: No
- Covers more than just SF: No
- Webpages: Science Fiction Awards Database, tiptree.org, Wikipedia-EN
Note: Thematic Award (Gender). An award for science fiction or fantasy that "expands or explores our understanding of gender". According to the award Web site, "The aim of the award is not to look for work that falls into some narrow definition of political correctness, but rather to seek out work that is thought-provoking, imaginative, and perhaps even infuriating. The award is named for Alice B. Sheldon, who wrote under the pseudonym James Tiptree, Jr. By her impulsive choice of a masculine pen name, Sheldon helped break down the imaginary barrier between "women's writing" and "men's writing"." The Tiptree Retrospective Awards] were for books published before the award was instituted which would have won the award if it had existed then. These were awarded at the ceremony for the 1995 award, and hence are currently listed with that year's awards. Beginning with 2019 the award was renamed the Otherwise Award